The Landscape and Nature
Here's a collection of you-must-be-from-North-Dakota sayings dealing with the landscape and nature. Never cared much for trees myself.
. . . then you must be from North Dakota.
- If you look at the prairie and see all the trees . . .
- If you can identify East, West, North, and South at all times . . .
- If you purchase pantyhose for your garden--to keep rabbits at bay . . .
- If you lie awake thinking of uses for leafy spurge . . .
- If you think a white pelican is just another airplane in the sky . . .
- If you think a jackrabbit is a fur coat on the run . . .
- If you've ever said "The skeeters ain't too bad today" to your out-of-state relatives . . .
- If you can tell the difference between a gopher and a chipmunk at 300 yards . . .
- If you remember one of your family traditions as honking at the tree between New Rockford and
Carrington every time you passed it, because it was the only tree around . . .
- If you cried when the tree was cut down . . .
- If, even after being gone for over 30 years, you still get breathless looking at a field of sunflowers . . .
- If you wonder why those neighbors to the east make such a fuss over their 10,000 lakes, when you know
you can go to the reservoir and catch a bullhead just about anytime . . .
- If you think Minnesotans make too big a deal over Lake Superior, because North Dakota has
Devil's Lake, and it's on the way to becoming the sixth Great Lake . . .
- If you feel pride in the fact that the bison population is being built up in the backyard of your hometown . . .
- If you get claustrophobia in the north woods of Minnesota . . .
- If you drive to the Black Hills to see the mountains . . .
- If you drive into Minnesota and complain about the curvy roads . . .
- If you wonder why all the other rivers flow south . . .
- If you think that any landscape not flat as a pancake is hilly . . .
- If you don't scream when you see a box elder bug, and you call it a "bug cellar bug" . . .
- If you get claustrophobic in other states where you can't see the scenery for all the trees and mountains . . .
- If you call that hill "the Turtle Mountains" . . .
- If you assume everybody has seen northern lights and sun-dogs, no big deal . . .
- If you think the state tree is a telephone pole and the state bird is a mosquito . . .
- If your ears pop going over the railroad bridge between Fargo and Grand Forks . . .
- If fresh fish are delivered to your door each spring in the original water . . .
- If you get claustrophobic driving through a wooded area . . .
- If you get claustrophobic driving in a big city . . .
- If you think of a big city as over 5000 population . . .
- If when you see a pile of sand, you automatically begin filling bags with it . . .
- If the only hill in your landscape is the 2-story one made of plowed snow which you enjoy as a windbreak and the kids use for sledding . . .
- If there are so few trees, the birds walk . . .
- If you didn't know there was a Red River in Texas . . .
- If you claim to be able to stand on a beer can and see the whole state . . .
- If you think a grain elevator constitutes a skyline . . .
- If you know a sun dog isn't a pet . . .
- If your ears pop when climbing and descending an overpass . . .
- If the closest thing to a forest is a field with shelterbelts . . .
- If you know what a shelterbelt is . . .
- If you know what honkers are . . .
- If you know what flax is . . .
- If you say Minnesota's 10,000 lakes are known as sloughs around here . . .