This is a holiday bun for Kansas Mennonites. I obtained recipes from various Mennonite students of mine from the Hutchinson vicinity. Leftover buns are sliced and toasted.
- 2 cups warm milk
- 2 teaspoons + 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 3 cups + 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2/3 cup melted lard or oil
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
- Make your yeast mixture of milk, yeast, and the 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Sift the first 3 cups of flour and the sugar into a big bowl.
- Add the yeast mixture, mix, and let it rise.
- After the first rise, add the salt, lard, and other 3 cups of flour (maybe a little more flour).
- Knead the dough and let it rise again.
- After the second rise, pinch off pieces of dough and set them on top each other, arranged on greased baking sheets--a small piece atop a larger piece, like building a snowman.
- One more rise, on the cooking sheet, while heating the oven to 400o
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.