Zippy Zucchini Relish
Tailgating in Bison Land can run into the chilly season, so you need a relish with a warming effect for your Cloverdale dogs. Also, by beginining of football seasion you're looking for something to do with all those zucchini you've been stacking like cordwood. Here you go.
- 10 cups of shredded vegetables - zucchini, with red pepper and onion
- 2 T pickling salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 T ground mustard
- 1 T celery seed
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- 1 T turmeric
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 cup cider vinegar
Tip: When you put this stuff on your dogs, you probably don't need any mustard.
- Shred your veggies (we use a food processor), salt them down, and let them sit at least an hour.
- In the meantime, mix your dry ingredients in a bowl. Also get your canning kettle going, your jars and lids in order, and so on.
- Drain the shredded veggies, rinse them, and drain again.
- Put all ingredients into the cooking kettle, cook lightly, and simmer while you get ready to can.
- Pack into pints and process 20 minutes.