This recipe is adapted from one that appeared in the Christian Science Monitor. We've increased the quantities so as to fill the pie shell. The crust, incidentally, should be a lard crust.
- Pie crust, bottom only
- 2 cups pumpkin pulp
- 3/4 cup apple butter or plum butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-&-half
Recipes for pumpkin pie often call for pumpkin "puree." I call the main ingredient of this one pumpkin "pulp," because we don't puree the pumpkin flesh, we just mash it. This gives the pie a heartier texture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375o.
- Mix the pumpkin, the apple or plum butter, and all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the eggs and half-&-half in another bowl, then add to the first.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake for about an hour.
- Do the usual things--cover the edge of the crust with foil if it's getting too brown, check to see if the pie is done with a toothpick.