Rhubarb bars for spring, pumpkin bars for fall. You gotta have bars. This recipe is largely a combination of the crust from my rhubarb bar recipe and the filling from my pumpkin pie recipe, with some adjustment of proportions.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup pumpkin pulp
- 1/4 cup apple butter or plum butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ginger, nutmeg, allspice
- For topping: butter, brown sugar, oatmeal, a little flour
- Pre-heat to 350o.
- Cut together flour, powdered sugar, and butter, and press into the bottom of a brownie pan.
- Bake 12 minutes. That's your bottom crust.
- Mix filling in a medium bowl: pumpkin, plum or apple butter, sugar, seasonings.
- Make a grimmel, or crummy topping, of butter, brown sugar, oatmeal, and a little flour.
- Pour filling onto the crust, top with grimmel.
- Bake 45 minutes.