On the northern plains, rhubarb is your first spring crop, and it produces good stalks right through the summer. So any day from May through September you can cut a stalk or two for muffins. This recipe makes up to 12 muffins.
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (can) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Tip: The rhubarb in muffins tends to stay wet and keep the muffins from getting done properly. So, before you add it to the mix, microwave or steam it soft.
- Pre-heat oven to 375o.
- Mix all the ingredients down the list through the rhubarb, starting with the dry ones.
- Spoon this batter into your greased muffin tins.
- Mix your butter (softened), sugar, and cinnamon into a crumb topping.
- Put a little topping on each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Branching out: Substitute your favorite berries for rhubarb. Juneberries make great muffins, plumping up as they bake.
Going Nordic: Try substituting cardomom for cinnamon.