A good mash makes a meal, and this one is a monster. We like yellow potatoes, like Yukon Gold or German Butterball. You can substitute turnip for rutabaga, but it's not as pretty. Our horseradish is the home-ground. Quantities: use good judgment.
- Rutabaga (or turnip)
- Minced garlic
- Canned milk
- Begin by boiling your rutabaga, because it takes longer than the potatoes.
- When the rutabaga is about half done, put in the potatoes (leaving a good bit of skin on them), and cook all until ready to crumble.
- Drain the spuds & rutabaga.
- Melt butter in the pot and add garlic & horseradish.
- Put the spuds & rutabaga back into the pot and mash. Leave some lumps.
- Finish off with enough canned milk to make the texture you want, and a little salt.