Venison makes great chili, which should be seasoned heartily to complement the flavor of the game. The mix of herbs in this recipe gives the chili a bitter depth that is great underneath the heat. In this recipe we also use half a quart jar of our own canned tomatoes.
- 1 pound ground venison
- Cooking oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic (pressed or diced)
- About a short teaspoon each of oregano, marjoram, basil, thyme, cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 can of pinto beans
- Splash of red wine
- Brown venison in a little oil in a big pot.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, wine.
- Add beans last, after the chili has simmed nicely.