Baking Powder Biscuits
This is an important recipe, because you have to have good biscuits for biscuits and gravy. The best gravy for biscuits and gravy is made out of dried beef from the Burdick Locker, Your Meat's Best Friend. The best biscuits use lard.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, lard, or a mix of the two
- 1 cup+ buttermilk
The same recipe works fine for shortcake, as in strawberry shortcake, if you double the sugar. For shortcake you just drop the dough on the sheet, instead of cutting it.
- Preheat the oven to 425o.
- Sift and mix the dry ingredients.
- Work in the butter or lard.
- Mix in the buttermilk.
- Gently form into a ball, spread it out on the counter, and cut out biscuits.
- Bake about 15 minutes on a greased sheet.
For savory scones (which we learned about while living in New Zealand), add sauted bacon bits and onions, sprinkle in some herbes de provence (look that up), and add some shredded cheese.
For pumpkin scones, double the sugar, throw in a handful of sunflower seeds, and of course, add about a cup of mashed pumpkin. This means you cut down the amount of buttermilk, so that the consistency of the dough comes out the same as for regular biscuits.